It is a very important hormone. It is also what drives us beserk during the tww.
After the egg is released from the ovary the cells that surrounded it form the corpus luteum. The CL produces the progesterone. The levels increase quickly after O and peak about 3-4dpo. It slowly decreases until 12dpo then drops off and af arrives.
Anyone notice any link between what progesterone levels do and tww symptoms?
So what does progesterone do to our bodies?
1. It causes ductal proliferation. Say what? It makes your boobs bigger. When they increase in size and get increased blood flow, they hurtî‡
2. It is sedating. It actually sedates the brain. That is it makes you tired.
3. It maintains your endometrium. That is it keeps your oven ready for the bun.
4. It effects sodium absorption in the kidney. This probably contributes to fluid requirements and altered blood pressure.
5. It effects mood. Need I say moreî„‡?
6. It alters vaginal discharge.
7. It increases your BBT. Hot anyone???
I know we all look for the symptoms of pregnancy and we torment ourselves with it. As you can see, the things we experience are normal.
After implantation progesterone will stay high. It is at this stage we can consider our symptoms possibly pregnancy related.
Progesterone is the great pretender!