This forum is a general discussion area for topics involving Natural Birth.
I went in for a regular appointment at 8am... protein was pretty high in my urine. They sent me to labor & delivery to get it tested again via cathater. It was still high. Also my blood pressure was high 180 over 98. It wasn't going down so they admitted me. I was given a little pill in my vagina (forgot what it was called) around 11am to start the induction process. Around 2pm they gave me pitocin. The pain was intense ... I didn't think I could handle it but I wasn't in anyway tempted to get the epi. I listened to music, practiced breathing, watched TV, talked to my family. I did use an oxygen mask. No IV medication. I went from 7cm to 10cm in like 2 mins. I labored for 6 hours before it was time to push. Pushing felt like taking a poop. 3 pushes & he was out :). I didn't feel the "ring of fire" or anything. He tore me mildly & I didn't know. It was the best day of my life!! Everyone doubted me but I did it. He was born naturally & I was up and moving. Yes I was sore but I had a plan & I stuck with it. I'm so proud of myself & I would love to have other children naturally ... all my questions & your ladies answering paid off...thank you.
Born June 1st @ 4:15 pm
EDD May 27
8 lbs exactly, 19 1/4 in long
Thursday morning I started to have mild contractions starting around 2am or so, but fizzled out around 10am. Thursday night I started having stronger contractions that I could not sleep through that were about 10-15 min apart. They started about 11pm. About 6am I asked my husband to get the bath filled for me since I was pretty uncomfortable. I was in there a few hours and was timing them at mostly 10 apart. They started to get to 5-7 min apart pretty consistently. My husband was updating my mom and sister and they were worried about me not getting there in time so it made him anxious and wanting to get to the hospital. I was told by my midwives to wait until you can barely handle the contractions to come in, but I obliged. We were 45 min away anyway. We called and said we were on our way, only to be called back saying the hospital was on divert. I was pretty upset but tried to keep calm. We were told to go to a different hospital to at least get evaluated. When we got there I was at a 4 but I did NOT want to stay and labor there. I think around this time it was about 4pm. The Midwife there said she was sending me home and after discussion we decided to go to a different hospital so we could have a water birth since the one we were at didn't do them. We got there, got all checked in, after about an hour we were told my type of Medicare wasn't covered at their hospital! At this point I was so frustrated I just wanted to go back home and birth at the hospital in my town, even though they didn't do water births.
There was a lot of traffic on the way home and I was starting to have stronger contractions, which sucked since I was stuck in a car. I just kept thinking "Yeah F this I'm not riding all the way back up with worse contractions!"
I think we got home around 9. Continued to labor at home. Contractions had been progressively getting worse and closer together. I was so exhausted from the pain and lack of sleep .. I just wanted to lay down, but every time I layed down or even sat it would cause a contraction that felt so much worse than standing. My husband was very helpful and would rub my back, stay with me while I was in the tub and breath with me so I could concentrate. It finally got to the point where I felt they were getting unbearable and wanted to go in. I had been doubting myself also, but he kept being positive.. but I was still so unsure I could do it.
We got to the hospital around 5 am and I was dialted @ 7 cm.. After being there about an hour, I decided finally to get an epidural. I couldn't take it, I was exhausted and needed to sleep so badly, and my contractions were becoming so unbearable because I didn't have the strength to fight through it, i had been up for 2 nights straight. I feel like if I had more energy and my husbands support I could have pulled through. But regardless I'm still glad I made that decision, I was able to sleep for a few hours and when I got checked next I was at 9cm and 95% effaced. Took another snooze and was still at a 9 but the doctor pushed back my cervix a little and I started to push right after, for about an hour. It didn't go as planned but I am happy I made it as far as I did, as it was a big loooong struggle. I absolutely love my little munchkin and that's all that I care about now.